I’m finishing up my role at the university and I am moving back to New Zealand where I have an existing pension fund. My UniSuper pension fund is small but I would like to consolidate it with my existing fund. Can I transfer my UniSuper funds to my New Zealand pension fund?

Hi Peter, thanks for your question. Good news—it is possible to transfer your UniSuper balance to a KiwiSaver account in New Zealand.

To be eligible to transfer you must have permanently emigrated from Australia to New Zealand.

Accumulation members

If you’re an Accumulation 1, Accumulation 2 or Personal Account member, you can transfer your balance as a lump sum to your chosen KiwiSaver scheme.

Your entire account will be transferred and your UniSuper account will be closed.

Defined benefit or Flexi Pension members

If you’re a Defined Benefit Division (DBD) or Flexi Pension member, you’ll need to transfer your balance to a UniSuper accumulation account and close your DBD or Flexi Pension accounts before you can make the transfer to your KiwiSaver scheme.

There are four steps in the process:

  1. Complete the Transfer your UniSuper account to a KiwiSaver form
  2. Prove your identify
  3. Provide supporting documentation around your move to New Zealand and the existence of a valid KiwiSaver account
  4. Post the form and supporting documentation to UniSuper to start the transfer process.

UniSuper has a helpful fact sheet called Transfer your UniSuper account to KiwiSaver which provides more information on transfers to KiwiSaver schemes, including the supporting documentation you’ll need to provide and how to prove your identity.

The information contained in these responses are not legal, taxation or accounting advice. It is intended to provide general information only. It has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or personal needs. Prior to making any investment decisions, you should speak with a financial adviser to consider whether this information is appropriate for your needs, objectives and circumstances. You should also obtain a copy of the relevant product disclosure statement (PDS) prior to making a decision regarding any investment in any financial product. Whilst care has been taken in the preparation of this information, the accuracy or completeness of the information is not guaranteed. This case study was prepared and issued by UniSuper Management Pty Ltd ABN 91 006 961 799, AFSL No: 235907, which is also the administrator of, and wholly owned by, the UniSuper Superannuation fund (ABN 91 385 943 850). UniSuper Limited (ABN 54 006 027 121) is the trustee of the fund. UniSuper Advice is operated by UniSuper Management Pty Ltd, which is licensed to provide financial product advice to members.

Answered by Matthew Sear


Matthew is a highly qualified and certified financial planner, with a Law degree from the University of Queensland.

Find out more