Temporary residents

If you’ve worked and earned super while in Australia on a temporary visa, you can apply to have your super paid to you when you leave through the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).


You can generally claim a DASP if:

  • you’ve earned super while working in Australia on a temporary resident visa
  • your visa has expired or been cancelled
  • you’ve left Australia
  • you’re not an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or a permanent resident of Australia.

If you’re a New Zealand citizen leaving Australia permanently, you may be able to transfer your super to a New Zealand KiwiSaver account under the Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme.

How do I apply?

You’ll need to complete the Australian Taxation Office’s (ATO) DASP application.

When the ATO confirms they’ve approved your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your payment. 

For more information on the DASP, including how it’s taxed and what happens if you don’t claim your super when you leave Australia, read our DASP fact sheet (PDF 73KB).

This is only available in very limited circumstances and is typically made as an after-tax (non-concessional) contribution.

We recommend you contact your financial adviser for more information.

Your nominated beneficiaries don’t have to live in Australia, but do need to be an eligible dependant or a legal personal representative.

We recommend contacting the ATO or consulting an international tax specialist for more information as there may be tax implications for your beneficiaries if they transfer your benefit to another country.

If you earn a high income, Division 293 tax may apply to your concessional contributions. You can apply for a refund of Division 293 tax payments if you:

  • have received a DASP, and
  • have paid all or part of your Division 293 tax liability.

The application form and a full outline of the process is available on the ATO website.

When you join UniSuper, you’ll receive default external insurance cover if you’re eligible or inbuilt benefits if you’re a Defined Benefit member. Default insurance includes cover for Death, Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) and Income Protection. You can cancel your external insurance at any time.

Find out more about Insurance in your super or log in to your account to manage your insurance cover.

Death and/or TPD cover will generally continue while you’re overseas if you’re still, a UniSuper member and you have enough money in your UniSuper account to pay your insurance premiums.

Read our Insurance in your super (PDF 1.5MB) booklet for more information.

Income Protection cover will generally continue while you’re overseas if you’re still a UniSuper member and your reason for being away from Australia is not due to injury or illness.

The insurer will pay your income protection benefit for up to six months while you’re overseas, unless otherwise agreed between us and our insurer.

Read our Insurance in your super (PDF 1.5MB) booklet for more information.

More information

You can find out more about super and temporary residents on the following Australian Government websites:

We’re here to help

If you have any questions, call us on 1800 331 685 (+61 3 8831 6141 outside Australia) or email us.