Moving countries


Whether you’re leaving Australia to return home, or an Australian citizen looking for a new experience, moving to a new country can be an exciting and refreshing change.

You and your employer have been making contributions to your UniSuper account in Australia, but now  you’re probably wondering what will happen to that money if you’re no longer employed in Australia.

Learn what happens to your super:

If you’re returning to your home country

We hope you enjoyed your experience living and working in Australia!

You might have wondered what was happening to that portion of your pay that was going into your UniSuper account, and why you couldn’t get your hands on that money.

The good news is, if you aren’t an Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent Australian resident, you may be able to claim your super benefit  from UniSuper if:

  • your temporary resident visa has expired or been cancelled, and
  • you have left Australia permanently.

Read more about the departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP), including how to apply:

The following video explains the DASP in more detail, and also goes into what happens to your super if you become a permanent resident.

If you’re an Australian citizen moving overseas 

Your super will generally stay in your UniSuper account until you reach a certain age (your preservation age), or meet another condition of early release.

Even if you are living and working in another country, your super can stay with UniSuper.

If you're moving permanently to New Zealand

People may transfer their retirement savings between Australia and New Zealand under Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability rules. If you’re Australian and are planning on moving permanently or indefinitely to New Zealand, you may take your superannuation with you to a complying KiwiSaver account scheme. 

Once your UniSuper benefit has been transferred to your KiwiSaver scheme, it is generally subject to New Zealand's retirement savings rules. However, there are some rules that apply to money transferred from an Australian super fund to a KiwiSaver scheme—for example:

  • it cannot be used to purchase your first home
  • it cannot be moved to a third country 
  • it can be accessed when you reach 60 years of age and satisfy the Australian definition of retirement at that age.

If you are considering moving back to Australia at some point in the future, you may need to consider if transferring to KiwiSaver is right for you. Our in-house financial advisers may be able to help. Some things you might need to consider include:

  • investment options
  • fees
  • how you can keep track of your super
  • currency movements
  • tax

Certain rules apply for transferring your super to a KiwiSaver scheme account. For more information or to apply, please download our Transfer your UniSuper account to KiwiSaver fact sheet and form.

Stay in touch with your retirement savings

If you’re moving overseas for an indefinite period of time, you should stay in touch with your super, or you risk it being transferred to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as lost super, which can happen if we don’t hear from you in a while.

It’s important we have your correct address on file so you can continue to receive important updates on your account.

You can let us know your new address by logging in to your account and updating your details or you can contact us.

You’ve worked hard for your super – so make sure it continues to work hard for you.

The good news is, staying in touch with your super can be as easy as checking your emails!

Access your account online

Register for your online account so you can:

  • make sure your email and postal addresses are up to date
  • check your account balance
  • monitor your investment portfolio and switch your investment options
  • check your insurance cover and nominate beneficiaries
  • do more to stay in control of your money.

Email us via our contact form

Use the contact form to get in touch with us at a time that suits you. 

If you return to Australia 

Even if your next job isn’t in the higher education sector you’ll still be able to rely on UniSuper to help you build and manage your super, no matter where you work or what you do.

Maintaining your UniSuper membership enables you to:

  • nominate UniSuper as your chosen fund if you’re eligible for Choice of Fund with your new employer
  • roll over any other super you may have into UniSuper
  • continue to benefit from UniSuper’s competitive fees
  • have access to our competitive pension products when you retire.

Our Your super when you leave your job booklet is filled with useful information about taking UniSuper to a new job.

By keeping your account with us you continue to enjoy the benefits of being a UniSuper member.